When I went to BlogPaws recently, one of the sessions that me and the Typist went to was called “Be The Change.” It was about being the change you want to see in the world, particularly to help animals. Dr V of Pawcurious and @FrugalDougal’s Mom and Dorian of Your Daily Cute and @BabyPatches Mom of Nip and Bones LLC all talked about how thy started with a little idea that took off and became a way to help animals around the world. From blogathons to pawpawties to SantaPaws, they were able to start things to benefit animals.
One of the things started at BlogPaws was to help Pets Without Parents by blogging about being the change, and by dropping $1 or $2 in the bucket if we can, and helping raise funds for them. So if you have $1 or $2 please donate on the left. If you can’t, tell folks about being the change, blog about it, or find another way to help animals.
Now I am just a little duck with some cats and a Typist, and I don’t have any great ideas about how to change the world. I also do not have any money except my little allowance. But I like to help animals. But you know what? You don’t have to have any big ideas or lots of money to help animals!
Here are some ways you can help:
- Volunteer at a local shelter
- Foster a homeless pet or two
- Donate time to a #pawpawty as a Barktender or DJ or Quizmaster
- Donate a prize to a #pawpawty or other animal event
- Volunteer to write an article or something else for The Anipal Times where all the advertising income goes to an animal charity
- Do a blogathon to raise funds for a shelter or homless pet
- Blog about helping animals
- Donate old sheets and blankets and other things shelters and rescues need
- Take photos of cats and dogs for adoption
- Tweet and retweet about animals in need and animal causes
- Network with other animal people and get more ideas and help them out
- Come to the Be The Change #blogpawty on Wednesday 4/21 7pm EDT to 4/22 1am EDT
My newest way to help animals and anipals is to work for The Anipal Times to help inform anipals, have fun, and help raise funds for different rescues. I’ll still keep working with #pawpawty too, herding cats — errrr barktenders — and DJing and whatever else I can do. And I’ll chip in when I can. And I’ll help spread the word. It’s what I can do. What can you do?
If we all do what we can, even if it’s a little bit, it adds up. Even a little catnip stuffed duck with some cats and a Typist can make a difference. So can you.
UPDATE: OMD, you MUST see FrugalDougal’s Be The Change blogpost. It’s a riot!