Google+ Not for Anipals

No Google+Google+ has been all the rage since it’s come out by invite only. Sadly, it has a rule that does not work for anipals. You must use what they believe is a single, real human person’s name. You may not use nicknames.

Their rules for naming Google+ accounts state specifically:

Your profile and name must represent one individual.
Google+ does not support profiles for couples or groups of people. Additionally, you cannot create a profile for a non-person entity such as a pet or business.

If they catch you being an anipal and do not believe you are a single human, they will suspend your profile which means you can not use Google services that depend on that profile like Google+, Buzz, Reader, and Picasa (photos!). Some have reported that their entire Google Account including their blogger blog, gmail, calendar, docs and everything was deleted, not just the things Google lists today.

Google+ is no better than FaceBook in how it treats anipals. In fact it’s worse. At least on FB you can have a page or CatBook or DogBook.

If your human wants to keep in touch with other anipals’ humans for you, that’s the way to use the Google+ service I believe. My Typist has Google+ under her own real name and she will speak for me there. She even put me on her profile picture! Your human can find her here if they would like to talk to her there.

I strongly recommend that you do not use Google+ if you are an anipal and don’t want to risk losing your Google Account. If you have already signed up, you can downgrade from Google+ to plain old Google like you had before they came up with the silly plus thing.  Here are instructions for downgrading  from Google+.

Thanks to @Midnightpurrs for pointing out that the Google+ downgrade link was broken! I’ve got it fixed now 🙂

This entry was posted in Anipals Online and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Google+ Not for Anipals

Thanks for posting this George. We never signed up for Google + cuz M says we has enough trouble keeping up with the stuff we are already in. I’m so happy now dat we ddin’t sign up.

I’m happy that TW didn’t sign up for this. I’m not very happy with Google and will switch my blog next year.

3. holly the cat says:

Thank you George and typist. My human hasn’t bothered with Google plus yet, she can barely keep up with Twitter and FB. But knowing they won’t allow meow to have an account- well, phooey on them. ;P

Meows and purrs.

4. Yoda Heltman says:

Mom got an invitation sent to her work email so she signed up. Google automatically switched it to her gmail account which is linked to my bloggie.

I agree we need to switch our accounts now. However, this is just a pilot got Google+. They aren’t ready to roll out for businesses and maybe other uses but I know they will do that later. They told Ford to wait.

I did read an article that they had a lot of people start accounts but stats were showing peeps weren’t spending much time there. I bet they make a lot of changes.

• George says:

From everything I’ve read even as recently as yesterday, they have no intention of making it possible to use pseudonyms,which is what they consider pet Google+ accounts — unless you’re willing to go through their verification process that they’ve rolled out for famous people with pseudonyms. I’m not sure what it is, but I think it would be hard to talk on the phone or something and prove I’m me since I’m a stuffed catnip duck. I do not have a social security number or a driver’s license to send them a copy of. They want only humans, apparently since they so specifically said no pet accounts. As for businesses, yes, they’re planning to roll out business pages. I could possibly have a page for my blog here then, like I do on FB. Unless they want to verify me, and again, I’m stuck because I’m a stuffed duck. We’ll see how it goes I guess. Thanks Yoda!

5. SUGAR says:

Woof! Woof! Lots of Golden Thanks for this … we are bit worried with all things we’ve been reading. We got invited but google automatically used our blog account. We just downgraded our account (NO G+) for now … Lots of Golden Thanks n Woofs, Sugar
    BTW: been very frustrated with Blogger some gadgets are not working properly … thinking to move my blog to WP. Golden Woofs

6. marleyterrier says:

Fanks for dat george. We is takin an extended break from soshul media at the moment anyway so Google+ silly rules dussnt affect us. We ope to be back one day. I keep an eye on you blog of course and so mebbe we can chat here. Woof….your pal Marley

7. Thanks for posting this, George. I think peeps need to know. I’ve moved my blog off Blogger (owned by google), got a new email address to stop using gmail too. I’m tired of big corporations that control the web (like Google and FB) having the ability to determine whether we’re worthy of existing or not. that’s just not right.

• George says:

Sure thing, Zack. Everything has its ups and downs. I’m not really much of an activist. The Google+ thing scared me, though. It made me realize how dependent I’ve become on Google for so many things. I’ll be working on that as I can. In the meanwhile, I’m backing everything up elsewhere.