Hurricane Sandy is affecting bunches of our friends along its path. We’re all concerned about our friends. Lots of concerned anipals are offering prayers, support, and hurricane safety info. I’ll add any of the links, tweet info, news, etc. that I can find. Send me and friends info using hashtag #SandyAnipals or DM me or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. All links open in a new window so you can find your way back to the others easily.
Anipal Specific Info & Resources
- @NancyCakeFace is doing a #SandyRollCall spreadsheet so affected anipals can be checked on and can check in. DM her or @I_am_Luka if you want to be added. Please use #SandyRollCall when tweeting to get on the list. She will be checking in with all about their safety afterward.
- #SandyAnipals hashtag can be used for passing info along to me or others re general Sandy safety at large.
- #SandyAnipalPorch or #SandyPalsPorch is for gathering, chatting, and sharing anipal info
- NEW! Facebook Group for #SandyAnipal Info
General Resources for Pet People
- Hashtag #SandyPets is being used by organizations for information regarding pet safety during Sandy per the Examiner.
- @ASPCA has ongoing info on shelters and more for pet people.
- American Red Cross Safe and Well has info regarding shelters open, and more. 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767)
- Download American Red Cross app for your smartphone. It has a ton of local info in it!
- FEMA Sandy Response
- @FindAVet: If you need to evacuate evacuate soon, put these in a first aid kit for your pet: bit.ly/MOTM1r
- How to use Twitter when you lose Internet access! via @Skye613
- Seven Free Smartphone Apps to Download Before the Storm via @Skye613
- Nine ways to make your cell phone last the whole storm even if the power goes out qz.com/21032 via @Skye613
- Generator Safety Concerns video
- Blizzard Preparedness for anipals facing winter weather related to Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Lost & Found Pets https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hurricane-Sandy-Lost-and-Found-Pets/403922739676650
- Hurricane Sandy Evacuation Tips http://bitly.com/SlL8JF
- Rounding Up Scared Pets Q&A (video) http://bit.ly/S8bNpU
- Emergency Plan including After the Storm
Area Specific & Shelter Pet Related Information
- Northeast Region: Shelters and Motels that accept pets in evac
- CT: Pet friendly shelters in Fairfield Co: Jettie Tisdale and Geraldine Johnson School; ASPCA List of Pet Friendly CT, MA, MD, NJ, NY
- DE: Horses can be sheltered at the Delaware State Fairgrounds. via @AgricultureDE
- MA: List of Emergency Shelters with Pets Info; ASPCA List of Pet Friendly CT, MA, MD, NJ, NY
- MD: Pet friendly shelters now open for residents around Baltimore http://t.co/ZHnELcCu via @examinercom; ASPCA List of Pet Friendly CT, MA, MD, NJ, NY
- NJ: The best place to get up to date events, closures, and information on #Sandy would be radio station 101.5 FM via Susan Schecter on FB; ASPCA List of Pet Friendly CT, MA, MD, NJ, NY; NJ Shelters accepting pets
- NY: Under #NYC law, an evacuation center must accept any leashed/in-carrier pet accompanied by a human; NYC All pets are accepted on the subway, taxi and trains during evacuation.; ASPCA List of Pet Friendly CT, MA, MD, NJ, NY
- PA: petfriendly shelters in Berks/Montgomery/Lebanon Co:Reading High School, Pottstown SeniorHigh,Lebanon Expo Ctr #sandypets via @madgurl69
- RI: pet friendly shelter at Thayer Arena 975 Sandy Lane in Warwick.
- SparkRelief.org | Community Driven Disaster Relief map with shelters via @Skye61
- @HumaneSociety has offered to try to help find a shelter in your area if you need to get to one.
General Sandy Information & Tips
- See where Sandy is! http://on.mash.to/TjZwxs
- Weather.com Hurricane Central – Check for your area
- Accuweather on Sandy – Check for your area
- Google Hurricane Sandy Crisis Map
- Live Updates: Hurricane Sandy Threatens US
I’ll be updating throughout the day and @ShaynaCat will have permissions to edit in case I lose power.
Everybody stay safe!
Thanks to all the anipals and others who have contributed.
Special thanks to @Skye613 who has provided a ton of information